Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Selena


This morning my cleaning lady Aida came in and continued a conversation we were having Friday. Now my Spanish is 'poco', and I had believed she had asked me if I would paint her daughter. Now this morning it works out that she wanted me to paint a picture FOR her daughter, for a school assignment tomorrow as Carla was doing a presentation on Selena, or at least I think that is what she said!


So Carla had sent over a 'flash stick' with a b/w picture of Selena! 'Rapido, rapido' I had a picture of Serena, two hours later and before Aida had finished cleaning!


I have since learned that Selena born April 16th 1971 in Lake Jackson Texas, murdered on March 31st 1995.
Selena was known as “The Queen of Tejano”. Tejano music is a fusion of polkas, country-western and traditional Mexican folk music that is sung in Spanish. Selena and her group “Los Dinos” created a unique sound by mixing in Colombian cumbia, pop and R&B – winning them fans all over the United States, Latin America and the world.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on putting together this Selena portrait so quickly. I am familiar with the story and the movie that was based on her life story. Jennifer Lopez played the part on the screen and essentially launched her career. It is a very sad story for someone that had huge potential for a long and successful career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, among young people here she is still listened to a lot. Many of her followers being born after she died.

    For those that know me, know I do not do well under time pressure.But I think I am so confident about my art right now, anything is possible. Also considering I was drawing from a blurry newspaper photo, on the computer, I was happy with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete